Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Future of Apple

I've posted this video before on Facebook, I am sure.  Nevertheless, it continues to be relevant for various reasons.  It is a couple of years old, but I tend to show it to my philosophy students every semester.  A bit of context: my philosophy students generally pick my class because it fits their schedules, not because of the subject and not because of me.  After reading a few dialogues by Plato and Descartes' Meditations, many of them are sick of themes that have no impact on their lives.  I use this video to give them a sense that philosophy does not have to be about the soul or about god or about the afterlife.  Dr. Mistry's amazing technology stems from genius and hard work, to be sure.  But I think it terribly important that he recognized that the question of UI (user interface) was backwards--the question is not, "how do we more easily adjust our world to suit the digital?", but rather, "how do we adjust the digital world to expand our access to the physical world?"  As we were discussing it today, the question of Apple's latest contribution to technological advancement arose.  The answer: a smaller version of the same iPad they've been selling for the last several years.  What is more, while Apple has already sold more than three million iPad minis, Dr. Mistry is sharing his technology for free as open source.  Here is his web site:

http://www.pranavmistry.com/projects/sixthsense/

No comments:

Post a Comment